Saturday, July 19, 2008

Entrance Music

Whats good with it?

So this is officially my first post...I'm assuming you know something about me if you are here, otherwise you are creepin' it up. I'm not gonna use this thing to creep it on people, or to lecture, or to inspire, or anything else of that nature but just to use as a diary. I've always been a really open person, so it works out for me I guess.


Its no secret that I've been writing a lot of music this summer. This has been going up and down, as a lot of people jamming with me over summer are kinda unreliable. I think the HARDEST THING to do when writing music is coming up with vocal melodies, just because I always think I'm ripping someone off....but I think we are coming to a point when every melody, riff, chord progression, etc, is being recycled anyways since so much music has come out (compare "Dani California" with "Last Dance With Mary Jane"...John Frusciante is too talented to have to blatantly rip off someone's shit, this guy kicks out a new album like every year).

I personally like challenges, so I've pretty much dedicated my whole summer to two things musically: learning how to write better lyrics/melodies and learning guitar scales. Guitar-wise, I write riffs I come up with down on notepads and combine them together to create songs, then write bass/drum/lyrics around them. So far, I have 3 complete songs, probably post tabs and lyrics when I feel good about them.

Some songs I'm trying to cover and play live someday soon: "Message In A Bottle" by the Police, "Girl Afraid" by The Smiths, "Angie" by The Rolling Stones, and a version of "The Long And Winding Road" by the Beatles that has no piano. Should be interesting.

*On a side note, the new Norma Jean album is gonna suck. I personally believe that "O' God The Aftermath" is one of the greatest albums ever produced (Even though its a Botch rip-off, whatever...) so its really sad to see them go from something so fucking brutal to their new bullshit. Breaks my heart.

No comments: